Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend Volunteer

This past weekend, I volunteered at the Lutheran Valley Retreat in the mountains outside of Woodland Park, CO. This was certainly something I had never done before but I must say that I had a great time. When I got there, everyone was well into their duties so I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to be doing. The first thing I was assigned to do was to clean out the equipment shed (put away the winter equipment and organize the building). I spent a couple of hours making sure everything was just right. In fact, it might not have been a good job for a perfectionist (LOL). When I was all done I was assigned to clean and organize the country store. Not as much fun as the equipment shed but it was one of those things...After a nice lunch of baked potatoes, salad, and chili, I was assigned to clean the Outpost kitchen. The Outpost kitchen is the primitave kitchen up on top of one of peaks of the mountains. When I walked in and saw all of the mouse droppings, I thought I would never get it clean. However, after some serious elbow grease, two trips up and down the mountain, and some blood sweat and tears, I got it all done. This took me the longest!! It was spaghetti dinner time by the time I completed it. I enjoyed the time there and the fellowship of others. I left a little before it got dark so that I wasn't trying to find my way out of the mountains in the dark. I took the scenic route and discovered that when there is a sign in Colorado that says "High Profile & 4X4 vehicles only" they really mean it!

I took a few photos with the camera phone as Mike has the regular camera:


The fire pit: some landscaping going on in front of the lodge.


The view from the Outpost toward the west.


The view from the Outpost to the East. You can see they had a little damage from the recent fires. But God protected the buildings!


One of the cabins at the youth camp.


Sedona and I out front of the lodge at the end of the day.


Our dinner prayer. For lunch, we prayed the Superman prayer.


One of the 75 elk I saw on the way home!

I would love to be able to just move out there and volunteer my time but I'm afraid that the creditors might get just a little angry with me for not paying my bills. So for now, clean-up weekend will have to do.

I am ready to call it a night.

C'ya!

No comments: