Saturday, September 01, 2007

Vacation Fun - Day Two

I have a Vacation Fun - Day One blog to post but for some reason, I can't make it happen. We will see how this works...

This morning we got up shortly after sunrise to greet day number two! What a fabulous day it has been. The temperature never got much over 80 degrees and it was sunny and clear. We decided today would be our caching day so we wouldn't roast out in the woods!

We started off with a couple of easy finds. Since both of us really enjoy a nice relaxing camp fire and didn't really want to spend a ton of money on wood ($1 for 4 sticks of wood is a little excessive) we asked the camp hosts where we might be able to pick some up. They told us of a church in a town not far from where we are camped that takes donations for the wood they have stacked in front. So on our way around the lake, we decided we would see if we could find this church. Well, we ended up having to stop and ask for directions! When we got there, it wasn't by donation but it was still less expensive than at the C-store so we picked up a load and headed on.

Shortly after, we stopped for lunch. Mike wanted to test out his lure in the river below the dam so we spent some time after eating. No luck and after a short time, we moved on...

We went on to find the next cache; which was in the middle of the woods inside of an old car that had been dumped there. One of the neatest ones I think we have done for sure. When we got back to the truck, I was complaining because my ankles were itching really bad. I pulled my sock down and it looked like I had really dirty ankles. The problem was, the dirt was moving. I don't know for sure the number (I would say hundreds, but I am probably exagerating) of small, almost microscopic seed ticks were crawling around. I took off my shoes and socks and many of the little critters had begun their trek inside of my body. Well that certainly had to stop immediately! Mike also had a few crawling on him...so itchy and scratchy as we were, we headed to the boat landing for a really fast dip. The red spots were really concerning me and I didn't want to scratch them...just make them stop. Well getting in the water seemed to help quite a bit. After, we headed back around the lake to the camp site for a quick shower (a shower always makes me feel better). I'm glad no one could see us picking ticks off of each other...we looked like apes!

After that fiasco, we pulled out the bug spray and hosed each other down. Of course, we couldn't stop the caching adventure; we still had a couple left to find. We went BACK to the spot we were headed next and took a nice hike to a point on the lake to look for our next treasure. We never want to hike too far because of Mike's feet; so this half mile was about the longest we have done in quite some time. It was nice just us and the dogs in the woods...

Our final cache was right on a Western ridge of the lake. We got there just at sunset so it was really a pleasant way to end the day. I have some great pictures of the sunset I will have to share a little later on...

We now have neighbors on either side of us. Both have commented on how quiet our dogs are. If they only knew that the two of them are completely beat and no longer have the energy to bark...they are both sleeping soundly right now.

We have a nice fire going but I really don't know that I can keep my eyes open any longer so I am going to get off of here...tomorrow; as with all of our days...is sure to be another adventure!

C'ya!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Okay, being Mom, I just have to ask......how many of the little buggers were on the dogs and how did you get them off?????
Sounds like you are having fun!