Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Marlboro Hot Lap

Vacation Day!! What a relief from all of the craziness at work right now! I must say, this is one of the best vacation days in the middle of the week that I have ever taken!! Here's why...

About a month ago, I got a mailing from Marlboro; which I get just about every month. Normally I don't pay much attention to them if there aren't any coupons in them. This one, however, was a little different. Mike had opened it up to look at it a little closer and discovered that this was for a day at the Kansas Speedway riding in IROC cars around the track and then in Mustangs with professional drivers to do some drifting. He asked me if it would be okay if he asked my brother Eric to join him and if they went out to the track to do it. I didn't think much of it and said to go right ahead. He called up Eric to see if he would be interested (of course he was) and Mike started the process to register. However, it turns out that the person invited MUST be the person to attend and you can only bring one guest. Mike wanted to go but thought Eric would get the most enjoyment out of it. Since we had already invited him, I couldn't dash his excitement so I went ahead and signed us up. Let me tell you, I am so glad that I did it. That was a blast!

We got out to the track right on time for registration. They have quite the setup for thier events. We were given a free backpack when we arrived to carry our stuff around in. Then they take you to victory lane and allow you the opportunity to view an Indy car and an IROC close up. Then, it's out to pit road for your ride. They suit you up just like a driver, have you climb in the window, and then hang on for 3 laps of 130+ speeds. It was fantastic! It goes by so quick, you hardly even have the opportunity to really enjoy it. I have a new-found admiration for those drivers that go 500+ laps! It's hot and the g-forces really make you work!

After the track, they take you to the garage area for a ride in a Mustang doing a little drifting. You get 3 laps around a short track and they just let loose! We were then treated to lunch and a little one-on-one time with Rick Mears; four-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 Indy Car race.
It was a blast and I am so glad Eric got to enjoy the experience. I must say though, Mike is extremely jealous and I'm thinking the next opportunity, Mike will be going! You can view some photos and a couple of videos below. I have a few more but those will have to wait for another post!


Eric just got into his suit & is ready to go!


I'm just hanging out in the shade waiting...


View of the cars in the pit.


One of the cars coming in off the track


This is the car I rode in. It is not me getting into the car, but I did want to show a little of what the process was.


Driver getting ready to get out for lunch.


Eric with his camera ready to shoot.


I'm posing in front of the car I rode in.


Eric waiting to get into his drifting car.


Eric gives the thumbs up to drift!


This video is of Eric in the Mustang drifting. He is in the car that comes around the corner first so just follow along. This was the second lap. The next lap was even better if you can imagine!


Eric and I pose with Rick Mears.

Alright, off to do what I should have been doing for the past 3 hours...homework!

C'ya!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Thank you so much for the post!! My husband and I are headed for the hot laps in Dover this month and I had no idea what to expect!! I am so excited!!

Diane said...

My husband and I are going tomorrow to Portland Racetrack for this event....I'm excited!