Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Oh the pain!!

I am finally feeling good enough to sit up and write a little about my surgery. Last Tuesday, I had my gallbladder RIPPED out of my gut!! My mom, my aunt, and my husband all went to the hospital with me at 8:30 am. We didn't have to wait long for them to take me back and get all 'dressed up' for the surgery. I was so nervous but it went so fast...I was in the operating room telling the nurse I'm as comfortable as someone can be when they are about to go under. Then, I was in the recovery room just waking up. I almost began to wonder if they had even done anything! I was being wheeled up to my room in no time. I also felt good enough to get up out of the bed and go to the rest room. I made phone calls. I ate. I watched television. I chatted with my visitors. Then, I went to bed. The nurses always wake you up to check your vitals...which I find extrememly annoying when you are trying to sleep. I slept as well as anyone that is in a hospital bed listening to the nurses station alarms going off every 5 minutes! The next morning, I woke up feeling sore, but for the most part, okay. Then, I ate breakfast and took my pain meds. I spent the rest of the morning realizing the amount of pain that comes when they take your gallbladder out! I was allowed to go on home that afternoon and I was able to do some walking and moving around. I don't think I could have done it though without all of the meds. Now, I must say that after a week, it has certainly gotten better, but I am still not pain-free. I went to work for the first time today. I can't lift over 10 pounds and the pain meds still make me a bit loopy but I went anyway. I feel pretty worthless but the pain reminds me that worthless is okay...

For now...I must rest...C'ya

1 comment:

Nicky said...

So happy to hear you're doing better. I can't wait for you to be completely pain-free!

Nicky
P.S. Loopy at work is ALWAYS a good thing...