Wednesday, June 22, 2005

It's over

I am very relieved that the entire funeral weekend is over! I don't think I could have handled one more ham sandwich!! We got there on Saturday and went directly into Grandma's to see her. She was watching The Lawrence Welk show (yes, the reruns are still on!). The first thing she asked me is if I thought Grandpa was watching...it was his favorite show after all. I gave her a big hug and she told me how happy she was that I was there and that she loves me. It broke my heart! She did very well the entire weekend though...she is a strong woman and will make it through...but it is still sad. Seeing the rest of the family was just as difficult. Everyone shed some tears but we shared some great stories and some wonderful laughter as well! Mom had gotten together all sorts of pictures of Grandpa and I put together a collage to put up for everyone to see. What was really neat were the notes from Grandpa's trip across the country...he paid $1.07 for 10 gallons of gas! The funeral was very nice...although we all agree there should be no hymns sung...that's what gets the tears flowing! Being a pallbearer was much different than I thought it was going to be. I'm glad we were all given the opportunity; sort of like we could help out in our own little way. We each were given a flower from the casket bouquet (although mine didn't make it back to KC). After, Mom, Dad, Mike, Topos, Sedona, and I headed to the nursing home where Grandpa had been staying to take one of the flower bouquets for the residents to enjoy. It was really great therapy! The residents loved the dogs and I enjoyed seeing their faces all lit up! We really need to find a place here in KC where the dogs can visit...it is great therapy. After, we all stopped to get some soft serve icecream in memory of Grandpa. It was one of his favorite things to do...take a drive and see what there was to see...something we grandkids always looked forward to! Then, we spent the rest of the afternoon just hanging out with the family. It was sad that we had to return home. I sometimes miss being closer so that I can see the family members more. However, I had a friend post in their blog the following quote and it summed it up nicely for me "The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.---Lucius Annaeus Seneca" Thanks Mr. Head!

I gotta go let the dogs play outside....

C'ya!

1 comment:

Nicky said...

We've been thinking of you. We're so sorry for your loss. You know I'm always here!

Love,
Nicky & Blake