Monday, September 08, 2008

Pooches in Pink - COMPLETED

THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON WHO HELPED MAKE THE EVENT A SUCCESS!! Sedona and I raised over $600 to help fight Breast Cancer! Not to mention, we ended up being the number 5 fundraiser out of over 300 doggies! I think that's pretty good!!
In case you are wondering why I am so passionate about the race and finding a cure, a friend and co-worker of mine died about 5 years ago of complications from chemo. Since then, my sister-in-law and best friend's wife have gone through chemo and won the fight. There are many reasons I walk but these 3 rank at the top of my list. A week ago, my mother asked me to also include a friend of hers on my walk. I made sure to wear my sign proudly during the poochie walk (as well as race day):
Sedona and I arrived just a little early so we could walk around to all of the tents and see what types of fun stuff we could find. We got so many doggie treats, that she was pretty stuffed by the end of the day!
There were doggies everywhere. I heard over 200 pre-registered and then 300 the day of the race. You only get to see a few in this photo as we lined up to race:
Since this was the first year for this event, the race length was relatively short (probably only 1/4 of a mile. We walked around a short little track pretty much in the area you see. I took a picture of Sedona while she was walking on the dirt road:
At the end of the quarter mile, they had a watering station. The dogs got a drink of water from a frisbee while the owners got cups. The frisbees were a bright pink just like Sedona's collar. This picture is just before the watering hole:
Once Sedona and I made it all the way around, we had a professional photographer take our picture. Since Sedona hates the camera, we will have to see what comes of it. This is the one I took of her waiting in line:
We stuck around for the awards and a raffle drawing but we didn't win anything. Of course, since we only got to walk about 1/4 of a mile, Sedona and I decided to go ahead and walk around the Garden of the Gods to check things out. (Turns out, we walked much of the same path that the runners would run for the actual race.) Next year, we will most definitely do it all again. Hopefully, the walk is just a little longer so we can be sure to get our exercise, too!
We took a tennis ball to Topos since we were not able to all go. He seemed pretty happy with it so I think it was a good choice by the little girl!
Mike and I did go to the actual race the next morning but that is a story for another day.
C'ya!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Thanks. You are my hero!