Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Vacation Fun - Day Five

I have to go back to work this morning but I wanted to get yesterday's blog posted...

Today was the last day of the vacation; yes…I’m totally bummed. I sure wish I would have taken another day! Of course, that is always the way it works with vacation. We met this really sweet couple who said we needed to start saving our pennies now so we could do like them when we retire; find a spot and camp as long as you want. Trust me – that ranks HIGH on my list of things to do when I retire!

Last night – the fire was fabulous! Mike and I sat around talking about all sorts of things. Most of them were memories of camp fires past. I aked him where he learned to build a camp fire. He said he must have watched and learned. I was trying to remember watching my dad build campfires when I was growing up and honestly, I couldn’t. I’m sure we had them…we always had S’mores! Any way – it was a perfect ending to a wonderful day!

This morning involved packing up the mess we had made called our campsite. It was 85 degrees by 11 AM so you can imagine what the task was like. We also had decided to do some caching on the way home so I fired up the computer to see what we could see. Of course, the signal was horrible but we managed to pull up a couple we thought looked interesting. So shortly after noon, we hit the road. Both of us were ready for lunch by the time we hit the road so we stopped at a nice little spot right on the river to enjoy our sandwiches. Of course, that close to the river, Mike had to throw a line in and see what he could get. Within seconds, he had a small fish. He ended up catching a couple but threw them back; not big enough to keep.
With lunch gone, we headed on our merry way to Warsaw to go to the Truman Lake Overlook cache (which we found with no trouble). If you ever have the opportunity to spend some time on this lake, I highly recommend it; very beautiful. While you are there, check out the visitor’s center; very informative. With that out of the way and the dogs roasting from all of the running around, we got back on the road and headed on.

The next stop was in Clinton, Missouri. Not that exciting in my opinion; but it was a holiday. We left Clinton to go to our next cache; located in a conservation area. We pulled in and as we were driving by all of these little ponds, Mike was commenting on all of the large fish he was seeing. We found the cache quickly and then threw a couple of lines out in the water to see what we could get. Within just a few minutes, he pulls a nice-size bass out. Well that of course kept us going. We ended up fishing until after dark! Unfortunately, we could SEE all of the large fish but not get them to bite on anything we were offering. It certainly wore the dogs out (and me as well). We are now on our way home. The only thing I can think about right now is a shower and to sleep in our sleep-number bed…

C’ya!

No comments: