Thursday, May 03, 2007

Who Knew?

Okay, Scott yelled at me today because I haven't posted for a while. I've been so busy with work and school, I haven't taken the time. So, in order to provide my friend with some fantastic reading material so he can keep from working tomorrow, I'm going to post a little about my trip last week. Enjoy!
I traveled to the Southeast last week to meet with a few of the technicians at campuses in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Georgia is very pretty (I would love to spend just a little more time in Savannah some day). South Carolina is beautiful as well but I didn't get to spend more than a couple of hours checking things out. However, I drove from Charlotte, NC to Chattanooga, TN and I must tell you, it was well worth it. If you have never been to North Carolina, then I say you MUST plan a trip! I started out heading West out of Charlotte on a sort of 'side highway' (not a side street but not a highway). It was fairly straight and boring for quite some time. Then all of a sudden, I'm making hairpin turns and going up...up...up. It was fantastic!! Then, before I knew it, I was in Asheville, NC. Right in the heart of Asheville is the famous Biltmore Estate (http://www.biltmore.com/). I had been advised how beautiful this estate was and that I should check it out so I followed the signs and found myself at the gatehouse. I stepped in and decided I would check on the price of admission. Then I saw it...the sign that said you could go on a trail ride. I couldn't pass it up. I must admit, the price was a little more than I expected but I wouldn't trade it for the world! My horse's name was Storm and you can see by the photo that he fits his name (notice the lightning bolt across his face):

It was cloudy and a little rainy that day but that didn't stop the guide from taking us around the beautiful mansion and down through the woods and across the prairies. She had wonderful stories to tell us. She really made me think I want to quit my job and move to North Carolina to ride the trails all day. I could certainly handle having the estate as my backdrop every day:
I hated for the trail-ride to end but there was so much to see and not very much time to see it. I left the barn and headed on up to the mansion. Now, you can't take photos or video inside the building. You can get an idea of what it looks like by going to the web site I posted above. I will tell you that as soon as I can get all of those people out of it, I'm going to go ahead and move it. How can one pass up a house this size with two Brunswick Pool tables, and indoor pool and bowling alley, and servants quarters larger than my entire house??

Of course, I still had a ton more to see on my trek accross the state so I had to leave this beauty and head on to the West. I headed across the Interstate until I reached what is known as Maggie Valley. This area is in the foothills just before heading up into Smokey Mountain National Park. I found what I thought was going to be a shortcut up to the road that took me to the top of one of the mountains. It twisted and turned and went through countless tunnels. It was raining and just a little foggy but I managed to make it through. I hit the road to head on up the mountain and then I found out exactly why these are called the Smokey Mountains. I thought my head was going to explode by the time I made it to the top. It was impossible to see anything and the curves were simply wearing me out. I was really bummed when I reached the pass and my view was one of fog. I took a picture of the state line sign, just so you can see that I was there. I had to pull up within 5 feet of the darn thing:

Because I couldn't see $#@&, I headed on down to Gatlinburg. I must admit, the city was not what I anticipated. It was cool but just not enough time to walk around and check things out. Now, from here, I could have gotten on the highway and headed on to Chattanooga, but what would the fun be in that. So I stopped at a gas station, picked up a map, and found an alternate route. It was a beautiful drive through the forest on the mountainside. The first chance I got to to turn to head toward the highway was Townsend. However, I wasn't quite ready to head down and out. I kept going. Suddenly, I found myself on a one-way road on an 11 mile loop through Cades Cove. This area is a nice clearing in the mountain with rolling prairies, old log cabins, hidden churches, and wild-life applenty. I can't describe how peaceful it was even though there were cars and people everywhere!



Now, before I post any more photos, I must tell you it was at this point that I stopped in the little cemetary next to the church and cried. I felt so alone walking through the cemetary and looking at the beauty because I wasn't able to share it with my love. I tried calling him but I didn't have a signal that was worth a darn. I want to take him back to this area so bad because I know he would get as much enjoyment out of it as I did. Once I was done, I started heading back down the road. I then came to one of the coolest cabins. It was awesome because it was open for you to be able to go in and take a look around. However, people have done so much damage to it inside...
Unfortunately, it started to get dark on me so I had to finish up the drive so I could NOT be driving the narrow mountain roads (I'm not good in the dark especially on roads I'm not familiar with). I headed on out and toward the highway. The story does not end here. However, I have to finish up my school work for tonight so I will have to make this story to be continued.
C'ya!

No comments: