Monday, May 28, 2007

Summertime is here!

So after a gruelling week of cleaning my house from top to bottom (It is officially Mom-proofed so Mom...come on down!)...my husband and I headed out of town for the holiday weekend. Don't get too excited, we didn't go far. In fact, we went to Cameron, MO to spend the weekend with some friends of ours. We headed up Friday evening just so we could be there early enough on Saturday to be able to go horse-back riding (yes....Cameron is where Lady lives).

Saturday was a day of family and friends as we celebrated my step-daughter's 13th birthday. The plan was to be able to go horse-back riding. Unfortunately, people didn't show up early enough to be able to do that and be able to eat dinner. Instead, we all basically hung out and visited. Mike's Mom and step-dad and his brother and his family were able to join in on the fun (in addition to all of our friends' family). It was a nice visit. My step-daughter opened her cards and gifts; most everyone gave her money since she is moving to Idaho this week and we promised her mother we wouldn't send anything big that needed to be packed! It was a very relaxing day with nothing to do and no where to be...

Sunday, Mike got up early and headed to the lake with the boat. I somehow got out of fishing and instead went horse-back riding! It was great!! She is so easy to ride and really makes me wish we lived much closer so I could do it much more often! We were out there for just shy of four hours. In that time, I walked, jogged, and trotted that horse all over the pasture. One thing I had never done before with a horse that I did this ride was to weave in and out of objects (I was using trees and telephone poles). Sort of like doing crazy eights around them but I wasn't being crazy! It was awesome! In the end, Kim decided I needed to learn to bridle my horse...not something I excel at...yet. I am sure with practice it will come - but for now...I just have to remember "My right hand is not necessary when bridling a horse!"

Today, Mike and I headed up to Smithville Lake for a little more R&R. We had a great time even though we caught very few fish (we brought one single catfish home...enough for dinner tomorrow night). However, two firsts occurred for me today. 1) I caught a Walleye. I have never done that before. Word of advice, you can't grab a walleye like you do a large-mouth bass... 2) My husband caught a snapping turtle. This thing was HUGE! We have pictures and video of it. I just haven't gotten them off the camera to be able to share. I'll see if I can't get that done and post a few pictures from the weekend for your viewing pleasure...tomorrow. The day ended with a brief but welcome rain shower. I'm so sun burnt right now...but I guess that is the official kick-off to summer!

I have got to go find some aloe to slap on myself....

C'ya!

No comments: