Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Piece of the Colorado Trail

I haven't blogged in so long...so much has happened since the last post so just know that life has been hectic and crazy and it hasn't slowed down. 

Enough of that!  Let's get on with what I really wanted to post about!

Sign along the Colorado Trail
Great tracks to follow!
Beautiful day in Colorado so no way I was staying inside!!  Don't mind hiking alone but always want to be sure that someone knows where I am so that should the need arise, they have a search radius.  I did all of the research and decided to hit a little more of Section 3 of the trail.  It has been so nice the past few days that I really didn't think I would need much more than my spikes...and for the first 3 miles, the spikes were almost perfect.  Luckily, a snowshoer had hit the trail some time since the last snow fall and had blazed a trail.  Otherwise, I think I really would have wanted snowshoes on this one!  Section 3 of the Colorado trail (the section between Highway 126 and Wellington Lake) is fairly flat and just a TON of trees so not much for views.  It is a great mountain bike trail but I wouldn't recommend it in the snow!  The nice thing about today is that I was the sole person on the trail so it was truly peaceful! 

Lunch spot
Buffalo Creek Trail head
 I always try when I am hiking to find a beautiful lunch spot with an amazing view.  Unfortunately for me, I got way too hungry long before the views started to show themselves so I just picked a spot and enjoyed a bite to eat.  Funny thing is, if I would have gone about 1/2 mile farther down the trail, I would have had the most breathtaking view on this section of the trail.  Oh well...better to stop and eat when hungry rather than trying to find the perfect spot, right?
Colorado Trail Sign
To be honest, this has to be one of the most uneventful hikes I have ever been on.  I made it back to the road and crossed over to continue on the trail.  However, the snowshoe tracks went right when the trail went left.  Not one track was to be seen on the path ahead and I don't like to trail blaze unless I have my snowshoes with me and I'm ready for whatever might appear.  So I turned around and followed the tracks back to the Buffalo Creek Road trail through the Hayman Burn area (2002).  The most exciting thing at that point was the three Golden Retrievers that met me along the trail, said hi, and then ran back to their owner.  I have high hopes that my next adventure in the mountains will be a little more exciting.  But hey, at least you get some cool photos to look at!
   
The last photo on my camera before I got back to the car...

No comments: