Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Colorado Trail

I woke up this morning and decided that Mike and I had not been out Geocaching for quite some time and that today would be a great day to head down the road in the valley to do just that. We decided we would head to the Colorado Trail and hike a small portion of the trail and pick up the caches along the way. The photos will tell the story:

After our second cache, Mike suddenly stops and points to the eagle in the top of the tree. He stayed there just long enough for Mike to get out of the Exterra for this photo.

While at one of the caches sites, we happened upon a frozen stream. Well, at least the surface was frozen; under, you could hear the gurgle of the creek as it continued to move along underneath. Not sure if you can hear it in this video or not:

The water is running down in between two ice 'walls'.


The elevation gain was really not that much but it sure seemed like it as we hiked up and up and up the series of switchbacks. If you look, you should be able to see the road way down below!

I have names this mountain you see here, "Kitty Ears Mountain". Need I say more?

We were hiking to an old quartz quarry. The area was used at one time as a dumping ground for all sorts of items (including this old mattress frame).

Mike was climbing around on the quartz. He made it up to the top somehow.

There was an old truck in the quarry and Sedona was standing above while I was below taking pictures.

The door handle on the truck.

A large quartz boulder in front of the crusher.

Mike at the top...

"Seriously Mom - can we go?"

"I'm very tired"

We climbed to the summit of Pt. Cloud - this marker was at the top.

A nice leaf piece...

You can see the road in the background.

We left when it started to get dark and headed for home. When we arrived, I sat down to upload the photos and realized the camera was missing. The last I remember is it being on the back of the Exterra. I got in the car and drove back to the trailhead. Luckily, I found the camera just down the road and unharmed. If I hadn't found it, there would be NO photos!! I better be careful...

C'ya!

No comments: