Monday, July 30, 2007

Fight Breast Cancer!

I meant to post this here the other day and I got busy and didn't get it done.

On August 12, 2007, Susan G Komen Race For the Cure will be running here in Kansas City. Every year since I started working at UOP, I have participated in the walk portion of this race. However, for the past year, I have been working to be able to run instead of walk. I'm not going to do the timed event; I'm not competing. I want to do this to raise money for research and if you can help out by donating a little, I will make sure I finish that 3 miles without stopping!

Click here to donate: http://www.active.com/donate/KC2007/JMewes1

Someone today asked me why I do it and here is my response to her:

Four people are pinned to my shirt when I do this to show both the positive and negative effects of breast cancer:

1. One of my best friends from my old job died from breast cancer. I don't want anyone else to see what I have seen when it comes to this disease - I want them to find a cure...I will help where I can.
2. One of my old bosses has breast cancer and has been in remission for several years now. I hope that she can continue to keep it away.
3. My sister-in-law has breast cancer. Her hair is just starting to grow back from the chemo she had to go through. Her daughter asked if she might get the same thing when she gets older. 4. My best friend's sister-in-law has breast cancer. Her daughter asked her one day if the cancer was all gone because she didn't want to see her mom being sick any more.

It all breaks my heart. There has to be something that can be done!

So there you have it. I'm going to do it whether people donate or not. If I can reach $1000 or more, than thank you for your support. If you can only give $1, it is one more dollar closer to funding the research to find the cure!

My dinner is sitting on the counter getting cold so I better go get it.

C'ya!

No comments: